Welcome to the Center for Women's Health Research and Innovation (CWHRI)
Vision: Our vision is to elevate the state of women’s health by fostering innovation in research, education, and clinical practice.
Mission: Our mission is to be one of the leading academic women's health research centers in the country by: 1) promoting a multidisciplinary agenda in women's health research with particular attention to vulnerable populations; 2) fostering partnerships with key community stakeholders in women’s health advocacy; and 3) training future generations of women’s health researchers and working toward increasing the participation and advancement of women in academic leadership.
Our work focuses on women’s health across the lifespan and includes adolescent health, contraception, preconception and prenatal health care, lactation, the menopausal transition, cardiovascular risk modification, and end of life care. We have expertise in the use of patient-centered outcomes research, community-based participatory research, clinical epidemiology, qualitative methods, and implementation science.
Since its inception, the CWHRI has been actively engaged in improving the state of women’s health and health care by:
- Identifying barriers to treatment and potential interventions to enhance health care for women from vulnerable populations
- Developing and testing interactive tools to help women make informed decisions about their health
- Developing and testing tools to promote healthy physical, psychological and social interaction between the sexes
- Authoring key, high-impact journal articles on research that informs women’s health care and policy
- Working to ensure that healthcare providers and systems are attuned to the needs, preferences, and social context of diverse women
- Participating in educational forums to build community awareness around women’s health issues
- Creating awareness about the importance of sex and gender to health professionals through multimedia efforts, speaking engagements, and sponsorship of educational opportunities with leading women’s health advocates
- Providing mentorship to feed the pipeline of women’s health investigators in translational and health services research